Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wait. Remind Me Please: Why Am I Leaving This Place??

I Fell In Love All Over Again...

I just got home this evening from a weekend spent at one of my three favorite places: Railay Beach. I didn’t think I would have time to go back, so it was a happy surprise when one of my favorite co-teachers at NICS and teacher friend from another school decided to spend their shared birthdays there. My classes were finished by lunchtime on Friday, and I spent the remainder of the afternoon getting everything set up for the upcoming week, then left early on the 2:30 bus to Krabi. From Krabi you hop on a song tao to Ao Nang and then from Ao Nang you catch a long tail over to Railay.
Going there this weekend was kind of like coming full circle for me here in Thailand. Railay is where I spent about four days of my first week here, and I would say it is definitely one of my more memorable trips, if not THE most memorable. I was so excited, so happy, and the weekend was filled with laughter and sun and some of the best people I know. Ao Nang was the first Thai beach I set foot on. This time, as I took off my flip flops and dug my toes into the sand, I got a little bit sentimental, thinking about how this would be my last time just hopping over to the west side for a weekend. It also happened to be sunset, which really set the mood and added to my moment of wistful emotion.
These next few weeks are going to fly by. Coming home tonight, sitting down and sifting through my emails, gearing up for the week, it’s really starting to sink in- I need to prepare to leave! I need to decide what is coming home with me, what is staying behind- what should be given away and what should be tossed, I need to clean my apartment like I’m moving out of it… because I AM moving out of it (and my dear Bliss is moving in!)… and how am I going to tell my LANDLADY? The one I have come to adore and trust and depend on? (Lately I’ve been locking myself out of my apartment AND the building. Why?!?!) I will definitely tell her this week, maybe break it to her gently by bringing Bliss over (they’ll love each other!)
And school?!? My homeroom needs to plan a holiday performance. We need to decorate our part of the school. Finals are in two weeks! And I am pretty sure we’ve found a teacher to take my spot. My creative writing class is working on making children’s books. The journalism class has to get the December newsletter out by the 1st. And we are doing a fundraiser for the flood victims and a holiday festival… and I need to say my goodbyes. Obviously, this will be harder for me than it will be for the kids. I think by now they are used to teachers leaving. It’s just what happens, I think, when your entire faculty of teachers are not citizens of your home country. It’s got its good and bad. I am going to miss all of them so much. So much.
As soon as school finishes, I leave the next day for Phuket, where I will spend the weekend and then take off to Bali. And then from Bali to HOME. In time for Christmas. All I can think about is hugging my mom and my dad and my sisters and my grandmas. And then everyone else. You know who you are... J



"And THIS Is Considered The Ugly Side..."



1 comment:

  1. As you told me this weekend, you leaving will really open my blog up for the best in Nakhon and will rob me of my rival. However, you have sneakily turned this foe into a friend.

    ReplyDelete