Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Becare Ful! It Will Coming!

I am so proud of the things I have done here, and proud of the things I have learned. And I am so proud of my students. Yesterday was our Halloween festival at NICS, and the students embraced every single morsel of it. Last Friday, all day, was spent decorating an getting the whole school ready. We divided the school up into sections and each class took one to decorate. My homeroom got the front entryway. And, not to brag, but it was definitely the most attractive. As it should be- they spent the whole day on it! On Monday morning, we gave it the final touches, got dressed up, and then began celebrating Halloween! We extended the invitation to students’ families and the mayor and his entourage. At 11 o’clock, we started with lunch.  I (fortunately and unfortunately) had my meal with the principal and all of the city government officials while all the students ate in the Spooky Cafeteria. Next was an assembly where students gave outstanding performances, including a dramatic play that T. Hana and the drama club she teaches performed. The kids were so great, and I laughed so much! From there, we gave the students a scavenger hunt and turned them loose for the remaining hour and a half to play games. Each teacher was responsible for a game.
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I am so incredibly tired even two days after the celebration, but I wanted to post the photos for all to see. Below are photos I was able to take at the beginning of the event, but as the day wore on, I got busier and busier and wasn’t able to take any photos. My bingo station was quite popular…. ;) and then I was the emcee for the costume contest. Both were pretty successful! The bobbing for apples game clearly stole the show, and then there were various other games strewn about.
I surprisingly got lots of complements on my costume- I went as a Grecian. One of the mothers of a student asked if  it was made from Thai silk. I said no, then thought about it, and confided in them that is was actually a bedsheet with ribbons and safety pins to glorify it. They started cracking up and them told me how impressed they were. It did turn out pretty okay, for only spending about 150 baht (about 5 dollars.) Good news: I didn’t cut it, so as soon as I wash it, I will be able to put it right back on my bed!
Also finished on this day and hot off the press was the school newsletter. All of it (except for the principal’s notes and my excerpt on Focus of the Month) was written by the students. I loved watching them open their issues and be so excited that something they wrote was in there! Starting at the beginning of October, I took over the journalism club. This time, I did the formatting and editing, but next time, it will be up to them!
Until next time…






















No comments:

Post a Comment