Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back from China. A New Academic Year. A New but Similar Outlook.



Today, reading my students’ quick writes inspired me (finally) to update my blog. I’ve been struggling a little bit with writing it- knowing that I needed to, but not really in the mood. But today, after smiling, frowning, nodding, and even laughing out loud a little bit as I sat at my desk in my classroom (yes, you read that correctly- I finally have my very own classroom!) reading their thoughts about who they are or who they think they are or who they want (or don’t want) to tell me they are, I feel ambitious and ready to share again.
My mood lately, especially since returning from Indonesia and China, has been less than stellar. My aunt Lisa told me that, just so I knew, I would probably hate the first few months abroad. But after the bouts of homesickness died off and I got acclimated, I would obviously love it. Oddly, my experience has been the opposite. The first six months were so jam-packed with new people, places, jobs, just everything, that I felt like there was no way I was even close to being ready to come home. There was too much happening for me to even have time to think about it. And then I traveled for a month with my friends from home, and then I returned to Thailand and they went back to the States. And I began to feel like I was so far removed from everything I cared about.  Thus, this is the plight I face- what I have come to realize about living and working abroad. I am doing something I love, but I am so far away from (almost) everything and everyone I know and love.
Still, every now and again, I catch myself marveling at the fact that I am here. That this is my life. Sometime during summer school, after classes one day, I was working late as usual. I got up to walk around a bit, get my blood flowing and I found myself in front of the giant windows in the teacher’s lounge, gazing out over the lush green fields, the city in the background, palms swaying gently. It was just one of those moments- I was standing, with my arms crossed in front of me, a mug of tea in one hand, looking out of my office window and thinking about my plans for the next day, running through my to-do list of teacher meetings, parent conferences, lesson planning, etc. Completely normal, uninteresting, organizational, average parts of being a teacher. The only difference is I’m doing it… in Thailand.
China, by the way, was really a great trip. It was so much fun spending time with the students and other teachers, seeing the sights, and of course, what Nakhon International City School trip would be complete without the all-important souvenir shopping we did at least once (sometimes twice) each day and the meals every 15 minutes? China surprised me in many ways. I never thought I would travel there, as it was never high on my list of places to go, but now I am thinking of ways to get back there. It was beautiful- all parts. The city of Shanghai is so modern, in an almost futuristic way, and for being so incredibly huge, it’s also incredibly clean and well-maintained. The ancient cities and temples and ruins we visited were also extremely well-kept, and the countryside was beautiful. I am itching to get to the Great Wall and go to Beijing.

Students on the boat ride!

Chinese Acrobats in Shanghai

Chinese Gardens

Chinese Gardens

The Boys
Shanghai at night!







The view from The Pearl Tower


My favorite shop- Grandmother's Tea


Meanwhile, the new-school year has officially commenced. All of the rumors and talk of our school have subsided, for the time-being, at least, and… the new principal has finally started. Not without a lot of hassle and catastrophe, of course, but he’s here, nonetheless, and already I feel the positive effects on my workload. And I’m even more excited to hopefully be a major part of NICS becoming an established, reputable institution. It’s like my faith has been restored a little bit, which is really good. And I have my own classroom, and that’s good. And I’m teaching, and I love it. And today, I had more than one student tell me, without the promise of extra credit, that I have made them love English, and they’ve learned a lot from me, and they want to be like me when they grow up. Basically, they continue to melt my heart. And they reminded me for the millionth time why I love doing what I do. And that is excellent







I love these kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment