Monday, September 26, 2011

My Favorite "Rap-Song" Ever

Today, I woke up at 4 o’clock in the morning. I left my apartment about a half an hour later, and drove the unusually quiet 5-minute commute to school. While the rest of Nakhon seemed to be sleeping the darkness away, NICS was ablaze with light, and the library was filled with… ladyboys.
Our Mandarin Teacher
Getting A "Gentle" Application of
the Inch-Thick Makeup
A Student Getting His
Makeup Done
          Yes, that's right. Ladyboys were our makeup artists, hair stylists, and wardrobe coordinators. And they were working hard when I arrived on prepping our students for the parade that would be taking place in 5 hours. I thought I had it hard having to wake up at four, but some of our students had been up since 12 or 1 o’clock. Some didn’t even go to sleep at all. It was insane. I couldn't believe the good moods everyone was in- the Thai staff, the kids, and most of all, the makeup/costume/hair people, who had to process over 50 people!
Karn- as a Japanese Man. Note the Lack of Daylight Out the Window... 
All I knew was that we would be participating in a parade for some festival. Any time I asked why I would be getting dressed up in costume, I was told “This is a parade!”, or “This is a festival!” When I asked why a festival/parade was taking place, they said it was for a procession to the wat- Wat Phra Mahathat- only arguably the most famous/important wat in Southern Thailand (see previous blog entries or Wikipedia.) Apparently, it contains a relic of Buddha- one of his teeth! Either way, what I was being told was not quite so informative, so I asked other teachers. They told me it was to celebrate the 10th Lunar Month. I asked why the 10th Lunar Month was so special, and everyone shrugged. So, I asked Google.

Part of a Float
Waiting for the Parade to Start


Boys in the Back of A Truck


Waiting and Waiting


Our Students Also Waited... and Waited
Thailand is SO Colorful!
Some of the Parade Sights....


Some of the King's Wives
Waiting to Begin the Procession


According to my not-so-extensive research, I would liken the festival of the 10th Lunar Month, or Sat Duan Sip, or “Rap-Song Tai Yai” (obviously, for those of you who know about my affinity for rap songs, I like this name better) to All Hallow’s Eve (or what I know of it) or to Dia de Los Muertos (or what I know of that.) It is Thai Buddhist belief that during the 14th to 15th days of this month, the spirits of ancestors come back to this world for a visit. So the people, generally afraid of upsetting ghosts, especially ghosts of family members who might be a little upset with how the family name has been upheld/abandoned, tend to want to make some merit during this time. Thus, extensive and elaborate offerings are made to the Thai Monks. This is where the parade comes in, as it is essentially one gigantic procession of people bringing gifts to the monks for merit.








The Dead
One of the King's wives...
 and a Korean
Pharaoh

Almost all of our students participated in the parade. I was so tired, but so excited when I got to the school and saw everyone dressed in “international”  and Thai costumes. One group of students portrayed the King of Thailand and his wife, secondary wives, sons, and servants. Then another group was dressed in costumes from around the world- circa 1500-1900 A.D. We had Japan, Korea, Elizabethan and Victorian England, France… Oh! Please forgive the date estimations previously stated- there were also a couple of Ancient Egyptian pharaohs. All kidding aside, everyone was beautifully dressed. We were excited to get our hair and makeup done because everyone looked so great! I didn't recognize a lot of the students at first- SO much makeup was used. We couldn’t wait to get our costumes on and be a part of the parade. By the time 7:45 rolled around, everyone was looking exquisite. 
I Prefer To Remember Myself
Like This



Except for me and Clare. We weren’t sure what we were dressed as, but our principal, who can sometimes be more awkwardly blunt than me, said he couldn’t figure out if we were vampires or transvestites from the turn of the century (1900, not 2000.) Unfortunately, he was right. Not only that, but between the makeup and the lace shirts and the rough skirts we were given, and the hot Thai sun beating down on us, we were very, very uncomfortable.
They're 13 But Look Like They're 25
(and when I told them this, they were insulted: "Ew!
That's SO OLD, teacher!"- excuse me?!?)

 I’m going to end this by saying it was an experience. Not quite what I thought it was going to be, but nothing ever is here! The other people’s costumes were beautiful. The floats were amazing- intricately designed, come made completely of flowers and fruit, and despite everyone running on little to no sleep, everyone was in a great mood.  I got some great photos and had a good time with the kids.
     One thing: I wish I didn't look like one of the ladyboys who made me up.
     I can now add "Dressed in Complete Thai Costume for a Parade" to my list of things I've done in Thailand. Right below "Officiated a Spelling Bee at a Local University" and "Guest Lecturer at English Camp" (Twice!). 
Don't worry- the Spelling Bee was amazing- there will hopefully be a post about that relatively soon. Just waiting to get my other camera back. 
My Virtually Unrecognizable Yet Beautiful Students in Costume



NICS Teachers & Faculty
Almost Completely Made of Fruit and Flowers!

1 comment:

  1. You didn't look like a tranny, but i agree Meaghan did get a better costume.

    Thanks for all the amazing pix :)

    ReplyDelete