Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Season

Thailand, according to the people here, has three seasons: Summer/Hot, Rainy, and “Cold”. I put quotations around the last season because, well, it’s never actually cold in Thailand. Not cold by California standards. Which, I suppose, is not cold compared to Minnesota standards, or Sweden standards. It’s all relative. But in the south, where I live, there are only two seasons: Rainy and Summer/Hot. Today, between classes, it began raining heavily. The drops were huge and thick, turning the world outside from a lush green to grayscale. I thought the rainy season was over!! It was supposed to be over sometime in February. The average rainfall in March is something like 2 inches. This year, it was over 28. Two huge storms knocked the south of Thailand flat on its behind. That surely had to be the end. But no. Because as I gaze out the window of the teachers’ lounge, I see it. Please don’t think I am complaining, though. It’s just… interesting.
So, maybe I misunderstood the seasons here. Misunderstandings happen on an hourly basis- not just between foreigners and Thais, I am realizing. It’s also between Thais and Thais. No one really seems to know what’s going on. Once again, I’m not complaining. It’s just… interesting. And it provides for some humorous situations. No one knows where the bus station is, or what a certain word is, or if they have a certain menu item available, what the weather will be tomorrow, or what season it is. The beauty of it, though, is that it all seems to work out okay. The people just shrug it off. There are more important things. It’s true- there are.
Just after the rain began, I walked into one of the classrooms, where the students were working after-school on a math project, and I asked them, “Boys and girls, I am sorry to interrupt you, but could you please tell me what season it is?”
“Summer!” was unanimously heard, echoing off the walls (this school is SO loud).
“Well, then what’s that?” I asked, pulling back the new curtains and pointing out the window.
They all began laughing. They did their “Crazy Teacher Laugh”. I often hear this laugh, and it makes me smile. I love that they think I’m a little wacky. Right back at ya, kids!
“Teacher! I don’t know what that is!”
“Teacher! That’s global warming!”
“Teacher! It’s Summer, but Summer is rainy sometimes, too.”
And I think in my head, as they shout out answers, well, then what’s the point of even having seasons? Why separate the weather if the weather basically stays the same? Maybe there are subtle changes… subtle changes to me, but they are strongly noted by the Thais. I often marvel at just how different our worlds are, and yet in so many ways, the same.
If I had asked my students this question about the weather at the beginning of the year, the room would have fallen silent. Eyes would dart around furtively before looking downward, gazing hard at their desks or hands, perhaps knowing how to answer, but being afraid to. Now, they trip over each other to shout out answers. (I have to admit, also, that it probably helps that we just read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and have been working on weather words.) They tell me when they don’t understand. They get my sense of humor (most of the time). Although I am very strict with them, I have this sense that they believe in who I am and my purpose for being here- to help them learn and grow and discover. I feel like they appreciate me, and all their teachers. And this, among many reasons, is why I love working here.
The students are simply wonderful. They make me laugh. They challenge me to think in different ways about things and teach in a different way. They challenge me to be better.
So the weather. It is wonderful, most of the time. Who cares what season it is? And my travels, they have been so amazing. Who cares if even when I say the Thai word for it perfectly, I cannot get them to understand what I am asking for? But the teaching- doing what I love, that is what seals the deal. And so, my friends, as I embark upon my fifth and what was originally going to be my final month here in Thailand, I must admit that I am not ready to leave. I am considering another six months. It has been so exciting (even if I want to pull my crazy teacher hair out sometimes because of it) taking on the bigger administrative tasks- hiring and interviewing candidates for teacher and principal positions, making class schedules and working to develop the student handbook and meeting with the director, mayor, and consultant on a regular basis, helping to redesign the webpage (I did not have a hand in the current site- this remodel is still in the works!), helping the Thai administrators articulate their mission and vision for the school in English, being part of an awesome group of teachers that always work hard and love these kids as much as I do. There’s so much more… I can’t think of a really good reason not to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment