Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's been almost 2 months!!


I begin week 7 of my Thai Teaching Adventure with, GASP!, an entry that has something to do with school! I am getting more and more comfortable teaching here, understanding the students when they have questions, comments, etc. We have somewhat of a routine down, they know what to expect, and they know what I expect from them… for the most part.  There are still times I have to call in a “translator”, i.e. another student who understands what the first one is trying to say or ask. Certain things about the school are still a struggle, but that is to be expected and I just try to make the best of it with the materials and time I have.

Today was simply adorable because during last period we celebrated Valentine’s Day. Students here also had a free-dress day, so they dressed in festive attire- pink and red, hearts, and a couple boys even wore ties in red and pink. Some of those same boys were quite bold and took this opportunity to bring GIANT bouquets of flowers, teddy bears, etc. for the girls they "like." One boy made a bouquet entirely out of Chupa Chups lollypops and tissue paper! So romantic! In my class last week, we discussed tradition and what the word means, how cultures, families, societies, etc. all have traditions. Then we used Valentine’s Day and various traditions that the holiday entails as an example in our discussion. Only briefly did I go over the history with them, but I wish we had talked about it longer (and had the time to) because they seemed genuinely interested. Then, in their Values class, they made cards and mailboxes for the big day. We told them that during last period, we would have a party, pass out our valentines, and also have a little birthday party (9 students out of 43 have birthdays this month!!).  In order to avoid hurt feelings/drama, we made sure to tell students that if they were choosing to participate and make valentines, that they couldn’t just make them for one or two people, they had to make them for everyone. Still, however, feelings managed to get hurt by the end of the day, girls were crying in corners, and we were fighting the urge to roll our eyes. Ah, to be a pre-teen. But, most of the celebration was a happy one, and some of the students even made valentines for us teachers.
Since today was a day I brought my camera, I also took lots of pictures. Thus, for those of you who are interested, you can look through them and get to know some of my students, see what the classrooms look like, etc.
I just looked through my own little mailbox and some of the students wrote really nice things. One was particularly sweet, and I took a photo of it to share with you. When you know you’re the strictest teacher (I’m sure that will come as no surprise to some of you) because your principal and the students have told you so, it’s nice to know you’re getting through to some of them… maybe. J
This week is a short week/long weekend, so I will be off on another tropical adventure come Thursday, when Meaghan, Valerie, and I head to Ko Phi Phi to meet up with a friend, maybe two!, from home. Pictures and commentary to follow, but to see the rest of the photos from V-day, click here

















1 comment:

  1. I love the Valentine! What a great compliment. I wouldn't expect anything but you being a favorite though. Those kids are very lucky. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! And Happy Late Valetine's Day to you Allison! <3
    Love ya,
    Karen Schefer

    ReplyDelete